[MLB-WIRELESS] connection value/cost for the main net

James Healy jimmy at deefa.com
Sun Sep 7 23:03:44 EST 2003

There was a "lively" discussion last year about a writing a dynamic
routing protcol that took these factors into account, and used QOS to
give people that are putting more into the network higher priority.

So, like you suggest, a node that routes and has several active
interfaces would get better service from the network, thereby giving
people incentive to upgrade their node.

Nice idea, nto sure it'd work in practice

The list archive is a bit mixed up in terms of sorting by thread, but
relevant threads would appear to be

https://wireless.org.au/archives/melbwireless/2002/Mar/3827.html
https://wireless.org.au/archives/melbwireless/2002/Mar/3957.html

look for the thread about "applications on the network","node x is over
here" and "mojo"

James

Joris wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Has anyone tought of a calculation method to determine the value of a
| connection, in terms of network connectivity?
|
| For example, a node with only one connection will 'cost' the network,
since
| it's an endpoint.
|
| A node interconnecting two standalone nodes is clearly adding value. But
| a node interconnecting two big networks is of even higher value, no?
|

| I don't know if there's a practical application for this, but I just
| wondered...

- --
"Oder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und
vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yoobetcha!"
~                           - The Sweedish Chef.

personal : jimmy at deefa.com / Work: james at rainbowbooks.com.au
MelbWireless: treasurer at wireless.org.au
msn: jimmy at deefa.com / ICQ : 6370237
publicKey: http://www.deefa.com/publicKey.txt