[MLB-WIRELESS] Ad hoc Networks (research journal & call for papers)

Tyson Clugg tyson at wireless.org.au
Fri Sep 5 17:28:16 EST 2003

Hi all,

A quick FYI.  I'm privelleged enough to have access to the full text of the journal at work, and I'm happy to report it is a very good read for the über-geeks that frequent this list  ;-).  There is also a call for papers (deadline passed already :-( ) seeking "visionary and forward looking papers based on sound technical arguments, experimental designs, measurements, or theoretical analysis, which address QoS in [Generalized Ad Hoc Networks]".

Considering the quality of work done by some members of this group (eg: Roger Venning, Andrew Griffiths, Julian Featherston, etc) I feel that like other CWNs, we deserve some formal recognition for the things we have achieved.  From what I can see, most of the papers in the Ad hoc network journal are not much more advanced from where we stand today.  A few talented members could band together make the effort to have a paper accepted for publication in such a journal.  Some food for thought, don't you think?

Cheers,
Tyson.

http://www.elsevier.com/locate/issn/15708705
Description

The Ad Hoc Networks is an international and archival journal providing a publication vehicle for complete coverage of all topics of interest to those involved in ad hoc and sensor networking areas. The Ad Hoc Networks considers original, high quality and unpublished contributions addressing all aspects of ad hoc and sensor networks. Specific areas of interest include, but are not limited to:

  a.. Mobile and Wireless Ad Hoc Networks
  b.. Sensor Networks
  c.. Wireless Local and Personal Area Networks
  d.. Home Networks
  e.. Ad Hoc Networks of Autonomous Intelligent Systems
  f.. Novel Architectures for Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks
  g.. Self-organizing Network Architectures and Protocols
  h.. Transport Layer Protocols
  i.. Routing protocols (unicast, multicast, geocast, etc.)
  j.. Media Access Control Techniques
  k.. Error Control Schemes
  l.. Power-Aware, Low-Power and Energy-Efficient Designs
  m.. Synchronization and Scheduling Issues
  n.. Mobility Management
  o.. Mobility-Tolerant Communication Protocols
  p.. Location Tracking and Location-based Services
  q.. Resource and Information Management
  r.. Security and Fault-Tolerance Issues
  s.. Hardware and Software Platforms, Systems, and Testbeds
  t.. Experimental and Prototype Results
  u.. Quality-of-Service Issues
  v.. Cross-Layer Interactions
  w.. Scalability Issues
  x.. Performance Analysis and Simulation of Protocols

http://www.elsevier.com/inca/publications/misc/cfp_adhoc.pdf
Call for Papers

Special Issue on: Generalized Ad Hoc Networks (GAHN) and Quality of Service (QoS)

Ad Hoc Networks Journal

Elsevier

http://www.elsevier.com/locate/adhoc

Data networks increasingly offer users a wide variety of networking modalities, both wired and wireless, allowing user traffic to be routed over many alternate paths, at different costs, with different levels of QoS, reliability, robustness and power consumption. We will call such systems "Generalized Ad Hoc Networks" (GAHN), and the concept includes conventional wireless ad hoc networks.

By the term "user" we do not "just" mean the end user: we include a variety of economic agents, such as ISPs, who derive benefit from the data being carried, and we also include all the other lower level agents including common carriers. However, the actual paths, costs, and QoS outcomes received by these users remain generally opaque to the most of them, and appear at a "per connection" result for the end user, and at aggregate economic levels for many other actors. QoS itself should be understood broadly, including concerns about reliability and robustness, power utilization, pricing and economics and obviously also conventional QoS metrics.

This special issue seeks visionary and forward looking papers based on sound technical arguments, experimental designs, measurements, or theoretical analysis, which address QoS in GAHN. Of course, technical contributions relating QoS to conventional wireless ad hoc networks are also welcome. Topics include, but are not limited to:

- QoS and routing in AHN and GAHN
- Power aware routing
- Combining routing and priority schemes in AHN
- Composite and multicriterion QoS metrics
- Using concepts from eceonomics and game theory in GAHN
- Mixed wired and wireless AHN design
- Security in GAHN and AHN
- Experimental systems and test-beds

Papers not to exceed 25 pages should be submitted electronically in the form of a postscript file, before September 1 2003, to Prof. Erol Gelenbe at erol at cs.ucf.edu -- The time-table for this special issue will be as follows:

Submission Deadline: September 1, 2003
Decision Notification: Dec. 15, 2003
Publication Date: Second Quarter of 2004

Erol Gelenbe

erol at cs.ucf.edu
Tel: 407 823 0345
Fax: 407 823 5419