[MLB-WIRELESS] more new edens

Steven Haigh netwiz at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 4 10:34:54 EST 2003

Mikey A wrote:

> Tony Langdon wrote:
>
>>> It's not rocket science, as any major load such as headlights or
>>> aircon running in a car causes a voltage drop to some extent...
>>> minimising this will solve most problems - and will probably make
>>> your car run better too :)
>>>

>> The question is whether the issue is low frequency "dips" or high
>> frequency
>> rubbish that's causing the problem.  The high frequency stuff can
>> usually be
>> handled by good filtering and grounding.  the voltage irregularities may
>> need the DC-DC converter to fully tame - or simply, a SLA battery
>> charged
>> from the car's electrical system via a diode and current limiting...
>>
> wouldn't a nice big capacitor like they use in car audio stop the dips
> when things like lights and the such are started?

Quite possibly. I've never needed to test this theory as I haven't had
any issues... I'd say this is because I had a decent sized battery
(560CCA - about 100Ah), and another decent sized battery (550CCA - again
about 100Ah) in the boot hooked up in parallel.

--
Signed,
Steven Haigh

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.
I am root. If you see me laughing, you better have a backup.