[MLB-WIRELESS] more new edens

Steven Haigh netwiz at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 4 09:37:13 EST 2003

Tyson Clugg wrote:

>Jamie Moir <jmoir at jmcs.net.au> wrote:
>

>>http://www.mini-itx.com/#story0233
>>
>>Looks like what I want. Im seriously going to have to consider a bulk buy
>>on these when they become available.
>>

>Regarding using a Via Eden in a vehicle, the M-6000 in a Cubid 2688A case
>*doesn't* work for me without additional voltage protection circuitry.  I've
>found that http://www.mini-box.com/ has some good info on getting them to
>work, and will soon have a 12V DC-DC PSU suitable for vehicle use.  They
>also have other (cheaper) 12V ATX PSUs as well.

 From my experiance, it's very dependant on the cars electrical system.
The more stable the supply voltage is, the less likely you are to
experiance issues running a mini-itx system in your car... As I run a
dual-battery system in my car, I haven't witnessed any problems at all -
but I know Tyson had issues with running the mini-itx and turning on
headlights and/or the aircon... The reason behind this could range from
a dud battery, faulty charging system, or simply just the design of the
cars electrical system.

It's not rocket science, as any major load such as headlights or aircon
running in a car causes a voltage drop to some extent... minimising this
will solve most problems - and will probably make your car run better too :)

>Worthy of mention from http://www.mini-itx.com/hardware.asp#hardware0050 is
>this:
>---
>Many sporadic issues with Cubid 26xx cases and EPIA motherboards can be
>solved by grounding the motherboard to the case. Problems can manifest
>themselves as strange LAN behaviour and booting problems, and seem to occur
>more often with EPIA M boards. The fix is simple and painless, achievable
>with just a piece of wire and a screwdriver. Make sure your computer is
>unplugged from the mains when you do this.
>1) Cut a 15cm piece of wire
>2) Wind wire round the motherboard screw nearest the PS2 connector, then
>re-tighten the screw
>3) Wind the other end round the screw that attaches the Slimline CD bay to
>the case, then re-tighten
>---
>
>Cheers,
>Tyson.

I haven't heard of anyone having to do this, I would have thought that
the metal legs to which the mainboard is attached to via screws would
have grounded the mainboard to the case.......

--
Signed,
Steven Haigh

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.
I am root. If you see me laughing, you better have a backup.