[MLB-WIRELESS] FreeBSD and APs

Jason Tedesco jtedesco at request.com.au
Fri Oct 24 10:52:19 EST 2003

My testing with WiFi cards on a FreeBSD box was done a while ago, so it may be worth double checking what I say.

You should be able to get Box 1 working with iwconfig.  Im pretty sure iwconfig uses the wavelan drivers which there should be a port for.

Box 2.  It can be a little tricky getting a cisco card working in 4.8.  In 4.8 to get a cisco card working in Infrastructure mode you need to update AN(8), this can be done through CVS.  If you do an ifconfig -mediaopt an0 (I think that command is wrong, I don't have a BOX to check on at the moment) it will display all the modes your card supports.  If hostap isn't in there, it aint going to work.

Box 3 - Client set-up should be nice and easy.  Refer to the Freebsd Handbook for commands.

I know in 5.1 most wifi cards work straight out of the box.  For more information the below link would be a very good starting point.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

Hope this helps.

#jason