[MLB-WIRELESS] Solar Power AP

Nick Sibbing nick.sibbing at arts.monash.edu.au
Tue Oct 21 10:49:49 EST 2003

Gday Clae

I didn't mean to start a full blown discussion on Solar I just wanted to
correct my contribution to the discussion at the meeting where I rated
wind power more highly than solar for stand alone APs. I'd quoted from
memory about an article in Renew about wind powered electric gate
openers so I checked with the author Lance Turner and basically APs need
a lot more power than gate openers despite the low power because APs run
24/7. So his assesment was that wind power was not the go.

As it happens he mentioned that he had just done an rough assesment of
solar powered AP for a small isp and I asked him about his figures. Yes
they do seem high and it confirmed my impression from reading the stuff
at http://melbourne.wireless.org.au/wiki/?WGSolarPower that solar is
only the go where mains is unavailable.

The issue of the cost depends a lot on the real power draw of an AP and
how much overkill is built into the calculations for reliability. I
guess Lance leans more towards reliable systems but he is definitely an
expert on solar so his figures would be pretty right. Figures were all
based on a 500mA unit so the first thing is to find out what is the most
efficient Ap going around and some idea of what actual consumption is
while idle, transmitting recieveing etc

The best way to reduce the cost is to reduce the power consumption
rather than compromise the reliability.

Regards Nick