[MLB-WIRELESS] Solar Power AP

Nick Sibbing nick.sibbing at arts.monash.edu.au
Mon Oct 20 14:59:33 EST 2003

Gday All
there was a side discussion at the last meeting about wind power versus
solar power for powering a remote AP. I suggested wind power might be a
better way to go than solar but I think I was wrong.

I just did a little resaerch with Lance Turner tech editor for Renew
from the Alt Tech Assoc http://www.ata.org.au/ and he provided the
following ball park gigures for and AP and suggested that the
infrastructure required for wind power would be too expensive and also
varied widely depending on site conditions (like wireless really)

So Joseph forget wind power and below is a rough costing for reliable
solar with basic accounting for Melb winter conditions

My conclusion is forget wind power and solar is doable but so expensive
for a reliable Melb setup that its only worth considering when there is
no other option. But if anyone knows the real world draw for eg and
apple airport AP then the maths could be done more accurately.

Regards Nick Sibbing

Subject: Re: Solar Powered Access Points
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:23:01 +1000