[MLB-WIRELESS] RG-1000 - Problem with Modem Link

Grant McHerron grant at taoceti.com.au
Thu Oct 16 14:17:33 EST 2003

Heya Gang,

Anyone out there had any experience with the RG-1000? Mine has an ORINOCO
Silver card in it, is running Firmware v3.95 and it's plugged into the LAN
via its Ethernet port. It's also using the inbuilt modem to connect to the
Internet via a BigPond dial up account (yeah yeah, I know, my bad... :) I'm
using FreeBase 1.0 to manage the unit via the ethernet link.

So, the problem is this - at various times, I go to send emails and one or
more of them will "time out" while trying to send. I'm using a laptop
running Eudora that's hooked into the cabled LAN (problem also occurs when
using an ORNIOCO Gold card or an ORINOCO Silver card on the laptop). In
Eudora, I can see it trying to send the email - it talks to
mail.bigpond.com and tells it where to send it. It then uploads the
contents of the email before stopping on the "." - this is the single dot
(.) that gets sent to the mail server to show that all the data has been
sent. Eudora will just sit there showing that it's sent the "." until,
finally, it times out.

If I disconnect the laptop from the network and connect directly to BigPond
using the laptop's modem and the same dial-up account, the email sends
right away.

If I use the RG-1000 dialed up to BigPond but try a different mail server,
the same thing happens.

When I was using a different ISP a while back, I don't recall the problem
ever occurring.

The problem was occurring back at the end of August/early September using
BigPond.

So, in summary, it appears to occur only when dialed up with BigPond and
using the RG-1000. Has anyone ever encountered this before (or know where
to go for answers?) I've tried googling for it but not had much luck :(

Cheers,

Grant

Grant McHerron
Tao Ceti Pty Ltd

685 Spencer St, West Melbourne, VIC 3003
Ph: +61 3 8327 0829             Fax: +61 3 9228 3257
http://www.taoceti.com.au       grant at taoceti.com.au