[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless connection of 2 wired networks

Nick Grundy ngrundy at isoproplex.net
Wed Oct 15 13:14:27 EST 2003

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bridging.html

thats probably what you want.

add

option BRIDGE

to the FreeBSD kernel and recompile.

edit /etc/sysctl.conf

net.link.ether.bridge=1
net.link.ether.bridge_cfg=fxp0,wi0

if you really want to firewall and filter traffic then add

net.link.ether.bridge.ipfw=1  (ipfw requires extra kernel options)

Example shown using a Intel etherExpress(fxp0) card names change under freebsd
dependant on the chipset in use.

kernel compile shorthand is something like this
- install kernel source code
  - use sysctl, distributions, src, sys & base
- cd /usr/src/sys/i386
- cp GENERIC ROUTER
- add the option BRIDGE line to ROUTER
- cd /usr/src
- make buildkernel KERNCONF=ROUTER
- make installkernel KERNCONF=ROUTER
- reboot and wait.

> Has anyone got any documents or how to's or know of any on, how to setup
> a wireless link to connect 2 wired networks together.
>
> The situation, at my workplace, we have a large wired network. The
> property that my work is on is rather large, and there is an office in
> the back corner of the property. It is about 500 meters away, and needs
> to be part of the network.
>
> I do not want it to have different IP address or stuff like that, i
> would like it to be as if it was connected by cable, even though it will
> be connected by a wireless link.
>
> I have 2 laptop's 2 wireless cards (avaya gold) and 2 network cards.
> 1 laptop will have a network card plugged into the large wired network,
> then it will have a wireless card linking to the 2nd laptop.
>
> The second laptop will have the wireless card connecting to the other
> card, and the network card plugged into the smaller network.
>
> Both laptops will be running linux/bsd whichever is better for the
> job.
>
> I think what i am after is a wireless bridge. With wired networks i
> know i can do this using a computer 2 network cards and some software
> (IPF on BSD), but can this be done on wireless stuff? With the wired
> ones, you dont even have to give the computers IP addresses.
>
> Does anyone know how this can be done, if this can be done, and if so,
> point me in the direction of some documents.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Allan

~Nick
-----
Every cloud has a silver lining (except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium & Strontium 90)