[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless connection of 2 wired networks

Craig Mead craig at australianwireless.org
Wed Oct 15 09:22:45 EST 2003

> Has anyone got any documents or how to's or know of any on, how to setup
> a wireless link to connect 2 wired networks together.
>
> The situation, at my workplace, we have a large wired network. The
> property that my work is on is rather large, and there is an office in
> the back corner of the property. It is about 500 meters away, and needs
> to be part of the network.
>
> I do not want it to have different IP address or stuff like that, i
> would like it to be as if it was connected by cable, even though it will
> be connected by a wireless link.

If you bridge the networks, they will be on the same IP range / subnet etc.

> I have 2 laptop's 2 wireless cards (avaya gold) and 2 network cards.
> 1 laptop will have a network card plugged into the large wired network,
> then it will have a wireless card linking to the 2nd laptop.
>
> The second laptop will have the wireless card connecting to the other
> card, and the network card plugged into the smaller network.
>
> Both laptops will be running linux/bsd whichever is better for the
> job.
>
> I think what i am after is a wireless bridge. With wired networks i
> know i can do this using a computer 2 network cards and some software
> (IPF on BSD), but can this be done on wireless stuff? With the wired
> ones, you dont even have to give the computers IP addresses.

You would be able to come up with a solution based around the existing
wireless cards you have, however a much easier to establish and likely more
stable solution is a pair of Wireless Bridges (or AP's that can run in
bridge mode)

I'd reccomend either... (speeds are theoretical max assuming LOS between 2
sites)

A pair of DLink DWL-900AP+'s - 22mb/sec link
A pair of Linksys WET 11's - 11mb/sec link

I also believe the WAP54G's can work in bridge mode, this would give you a
theoretical connection speed of 54mb/sec.

(with all the above I would reccomend running a Vagi antenna off each unit)