[MLB-WIRELESS] the problem with wireless networks...

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Mon Oct 13 15:14:04 EST 2003

This is pretty much the defense I've always taken when I'm arguing with
people who are going down the magical wireless mesh path.

Also same reason I'm being a Channel/AP nazi in outer eastern foothills RG.

Maximise bandwidth!!

-- Omni antennas are bad news for everyone else, avoid them. (it's a rare
occasion that you can justify spitting out a 360degree signal)
-- No more than 3 interfaces on separate channels within a few hundred
metres of eachother.
-- Use panel or waveguide antennas with 180degree *or less* beamwidth so
you can control your noise.
-- Divide up coverage amoung several AP's with separate directional links
between them.