[MLB-WIRELESS] ACA discussion paper

vk3jma at net2000.com.au vk3jma at net2000.com.au
Fri Oct 10 12:01:34 EST 2003

Quoting sanbar <sandbar at ozemail.com.au>:

> On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 07:55, vk3jma at net2000.com.au wrote:
> > Hi Rick & Others,
> >
> > No you dont.  The class licence allows for your use of 802.11a/b/g
> equipment
> > without a licence.  If you wanted to play a bit deeper with higher power
> then
> > as a licenced radio amateur you would be able to (with a few extra
> regulatory
> > requirements).
>
> Unless there's some form of exemption under the current wlan
> legislation, we're restricted to the 4W max ERIP, regardless of if we
> have a licence to play around with higher outputs in other parts of the
> spectrum. I can see that some people - possibly me, I should add - will
> enjoy the crossover from wlan to general RF adventures, but at this
> point any discussion of entry-level licences in relation to wlan is
> irrelevant because of this cap.
> Again, I'm open to criticism.
> - Barry

Hang on Barry,

I hold a AOCP (Amateur Operators Certificate of Proficency), that qualification
allows me to utilise many modes on many bands, one of which is 2400 MHz to 2450
MHz. Used to be 2.3GHz to 2.45 Ghz (also the 5.67 Ghz band (802.11a) is an
amateur allocation)

On this band I am allowed under the regulations to use 400 W PEP on modes such
as SSB, and 120 W Carrier power, like FM and CW (morse code).

Digging deaper there would be an emmision type that covers wideband emissions
such as 802.11b/g and hence would be covered under relvant amateur TLS's.
(Technical Licence Specifications).

Although as I have stated,  I dont think a 120w wifi signal would do anybody
any good and would unnessecarily disrupt others, as an amateur radio operator
you would legally be allowed to persue your hobby outside the laws governing
the Class Licence users, naturally, provided the amateur remained within their
2.4 to 2.45 allocation.  From memory there are even WIA bandplans covering
allocations within 2.4 to 2.45 for wideband data transmission (a bit of forward
thinking I would say).

Again, I will repeat, there are a few hurdles to jump over still, not
withstanding the Identification issue of wifi transmissions within the Amateur
Regs that would need addressing.

As to your posts theme,  I am not saying that wlan should have any form
of "entry level licence" or any licence requirements for the individual at all,
(it has a CLASS LICENCE status, that is, the Government of Australia has set
aside this area of the spectrum (as well as other areas) for general use by all
australians, also eg 477 MHz UHFCB, same licence status!).  I am stating that
as a Licenced ham, you can enjoy several technical benefits over that of
the "class licence" users,  nothing more.

> Again, I'm open to criticism.

Same here!

Regards

Mark