[MLB-WIRELESS] ACA discussion paper

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Fri Oct 10 11:29:05 EST 2003

> Unless there's some form of exemption under the current wlan
> legislation, we're restricted to the 4W max ERIP, regardless of if we
> have a licence to play around with higher outputs in other
> parts of the
> spectrum. I can see that some people - possibly me, I should
> add - will
> enjoy the crossover from wlan to general RF adventures, but at this
> point any discussion of entry-level licences in relation to wlan is
> irrelevant because of this cap.
> Again, I'm open to criticism.

I disagree, at least in part.  Yes, if all you want to do is play WLAN on
the Melbourne Wireless (i.e. public, general access) network, then entry
level licences and such are irrelevant.  However, others may want to play in
other ways not permitted under the class licence (higher power, other
frequencies, other forms of data transmission, home brew RF hardware, the
list goes on...).  These people may be interested in additional things
besides the Melbourne Wireless network.

It's kind of like the old days where a lot of amateurs had a CB stashed away
(and many still do!) - not that many would admit to it in the 1980's and for
much of the 1990's, but that was in many cases (myself included) so they
could keep in touch with their mates on CB, or enjoy the open, public nature
of the medium, yet have the option to (legally) run higher power and other
modes on the amateur bands.

Hopefully this time around, it'll happen without the aggro that occured over
the uears between hams and CBers.

There is room for cross pollination, and some of the stuff I'm playing with
on the ham bands could be legally used using wireless as the physical layer,
instead of the wired Internet.  Hmm, endless possibilities... tinker time...
:-)

BTW, how many in the group have UHF CB?