[MLB-WIRELESS] AP Box cooling

Gordon Staines gstaines at theage.com.au
Fri Oct 3 15:50:32 EST 2003

And here am I thinking that a small fan at the bottom, power by one of
those cheap solar panels from dick smith.

The solar reason: The fan would run fastest when there was the most heat
- ie direct sunlight. and be off at night (when we use AP the most,
hence less noise from the motor) also when its generally not too light
when its raining and cold

Also can get those solar powered garden lights which have a mount, are
weather proof etc, it wouldnt take much to take the light out and retro
fit one, and they cost under $25 at bunnings

cheers

darrend at ndpgroup.com.au wrote:

>Mike would keep it cool by launching it into orbit (from the Hawthorn
>Aerospace launch site) strapped to the side of a rocket. All the way moon
>bouncing the 2.4GHz video footage back to earth, realtime encoded to 5
>simultaneous media streams :P
>
>Darren Dreis
>Vice President
>Melbourne Wireless Inc.
>vicepresident at wireless.org.au
>http://www.wireless.org.au
>

>Michael Borthwick <holden at netspace.net.au>
>Sent by: owner-melbwireless at wireless.org.au
>03/10/2003 11:33 AM
>

>        To:     melbwireless at wireless.org.au
>        cc:
>        Subject:        Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] AP Box cooling
>

>>Steven wrote:
>>
>>Has anyone added a cooling system to their AP box?
>>

>There are a couple of ways of approaching this depending on your
>point-of-view.
>
>Darren would install the entire AP into a slotted waveguide and use that
>as an enormous ventilated heatsink.
>
>Vak would run Liquid Nitrogen over Ethernet (LNoE) using specially
>reinforced and insulated CAT-5 cable containing glass fibre capillary
>tubes terminated with blue anodized aerospace connectors.
>
>Clae would install a peltier effect cooling module from Oatley
>Electronics powered by an array of ex-Telstra solar panels suspended
>from a balloon filled with hydrogen created by electrolysis from a
>converted Kombi alternator that doubles as an arc welder.
>
>Tony would point out that your cooling problems are trivial compared to
>those that hams fans running ATV in the same part of the band who could
>wipe your signal out any time they wanted too.
>
>Rick would have a BBQ and pour beer over it.

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files is or may be confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail, or telephone and delete all copies. Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.