[MLB-WIRELESS] Repeater

Craig Mead craig at australianwireless.org
Thu Oct 2 12:35:46 EST 2003

> Open message to Melb Wireless Group
> This is my first request, I hope this is the right address to send the
query.

> I have a requirement that could best be described as a repeater.
>
> We have a yard about 500mm line of site from the office.
> The yard has no physical lines available
> In the yard we will be using PDA's equipped with WiFi
> The yard will not have a computer

500mm? I assume you meant 500m?

> What device should we install at the yard to provide wireless to the PDA's
> and repeat it back to the office where the physical connection is made to
> the network. The PDA's will not be able to work direct to the office as
> they will not have the power or the line of site.

On remote office, I would probably reccomend running a small 4 slot
waveguide or similar to give you a decent amount of coverage and signal
strength for the PDA's. Run this off any access point and you should be OK,
but if you have a decent budget, step up a few levels of brands for
something a bit more targetted at the non-home-user market.

To connect the offices together, something like a pair of DLink DWL-900AP+'s
in bridge mode over that distance should give you 22mb connections if
running two small directional antennas (Vagi's or small Yagis, or if the
budget is tight, some cantennas in PVC!).

Theres a LOT of options in this kind of situation, if you gave some
indication of budget and required reliability (100% uptime or is a bit of
downtime here and there acceptable) I'm sure it would help people give you
some better information as to what hardware would suit the job.

> There is a further requirement to provide voice intercom from the yard
(not
> the PDA's) to the office. Can this be added to the repeater as I foresee
no
> problem adding intercom to the PC using the normal audio card and using
VoIP.

If it's standard VoIP it can transmited over the Wireless link as it just
sends out IP.

> I hope someone can be of help

I hope I was somewhat helpful.

> Bill Penrose