[MLB-WIRELESS] Minitar specs

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Wed Oct 1 17:41:57 EST 2003

Hi,

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Robert Davidson wrote:

> Tony Langdon wrote:
> >>Given that it must run some sort of customised Linux, presumably
> >>something similar to what some of the Linksys routers have.
> >>Does anyone
> >>know if it is customizable? Has anyone asked for the source?
> >
> > Well, if it's Linux, source shouldn't (in theory) be too hard to obtain.
> > Either that, or they're not following the letter of the GPL :)
>
> Well I pulled apart what I could of that firmware on their website,
> it doesn't seem to contain a kernel or anything, just gif images and
> html pages.  The file that contains those things is gzipped within
> the .bin file that Minitar have available on their web page.
>
> There are references to Linux in the html pages within the firmware
> upgrade file but no kernel or filesystem that I could find, granted
> I've not had much time to look because I'm fairly rushed, but the
> gifs and HTML seem to be about 900k compressed.

If you do a text search through the firmware file, the word "Linux" does
appear.

The file I looked at was:

http://www.minitar.com/downloads/MIN2APB_2.20.zip

Edimax seem to make a very similar unit, which looks like it may be
based on the same OEM board. I have found the same text/details in their
firmware at:

http://www.edimax.com.tw/download/firmware/EW-7205APLV24.zip

Manual at:

http://www.edimax.com.tw/download/manual/EW-7205APL_M.pdf

Their firmware is about 3 Meg however. They do seem to have a EW-7206APB
which looks like it is the same as the minitar.

http://www.edimax.com.tw/html/english/products/EW-7206APB.htm

Unfortunately there is no firmware listed online for this unit at:

http://www.edimax.com.tw/download/firmware/

Has anyone got the ability to de-compile the Minitar firmware file?

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----