[MLB-WIRELESS] FYI - VoIP using X-lite (www.fwd.com)

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Thu Nov 20 16:07:04 EST 2003

That IP address is the Free World Dial Nat traversal proxy
(fwdnat.pulver.com).

It is the one used in the setup docs for X-Lite on the FWD site to get
around using NAT.

I am currently playing with other solutions that get around this problem (as
I don't like my convo's getting all laggy going transcontinental).

I advise people (who have a local linux server) to have a look at SER (Sip
Express Router) at http://www.iptel.org/ser/

If you run this on your gateway, you can get around nat by using the proxy
(remember to turn off the "oubound proxy" setting in your X-Lite software).

The quick'n'easy alternative to get around this is if you have only 1 local
VOIP client is to port forwards all traffic destined to ports 5060 (SIP) and
udp/8000 (RTP). This could stuff up people trying to stream video on your
lan though ;)

Supposedly, SER can do full RTP proxying, so it can act as a true far-end
NAT traversal proxy, but I haven't got that bit working as yet.

	Fenn.