[MLB-WIRELESS] Second Melbourne Wireless field day
sandbar at ozemail.com.au
Wed Nov 19 02:07:24 EST 2003
A reminder that the second Melbourne Wireless field day will be held in
conjunction with the Linux Users of Victoria installfest at Melbourne
University on Saturday, November 29.
Place: North Dining Hall, Union Building
http://www.union.unimelb.edu.au/maps/, Melbourne University
Time: 10am to 5pm
Please note that parking in the uni car park will slug you $2.
* Warstumble comp. Show that you can run the fastest while balancing a lappy.
* Cantenna/antenna hacking. Modify an existing antenna for 2.4GHz or create
a cheap new one.
* Equipment testing. Bring along your access point and see if it works.
Throw a wireless card in your notebook and sniff a few networks.
* Troubleshoot. Come along and let the Melbourne Wireless groupies resolve
your software and hardware issues for you.
* Install. Come and build your own wireless access point. (NOTE: If you're
building a Linux-based AP, you will need to book an install with LUV,
http://www.luv.asn.au/installfest2003/Installee_Registration.html. You will
also need to look through LUV's pre-install checklist at
* Learn. If all goes to plan, there should be plenty of working stuff to
If you bring any gear, make sure you bring _everything_ needed to make it
work, including all cables, power cords, monitors, keyboards, pigtails,
power boards and software. Make sure _everything_ is clearly identified as
At this stage, we still need volunteers to help with the event.
* Several people to come and help set up before 10am.
* People to help with antenna hacking.
* People to field questions. We had a large number of people attending the
LUV part of the event show an interest in the wireless activities.
* People who have equipment that other people will be interested in seeing.
Peer-to-peer nerding is most fulfilling and RIAA approved.
* People who can turn sausages on a barbecue without burning the sausages
* People to manage the field day's network.
If anyone is able to assist, can they please contact me by replying
directly to this email in the next couple of days indicating your area of
http://wireless.bur.st | wireless project page
http://warragul.wireless.org.au | community wireless
-=all your http_get are belong to us=-
To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at wireless.org.au
with "unsubscribe melbwireless" in the body of the message
More information about the Melbwireless