[MLB-WIRELESS] Funding of nodes

Matt matthew.c.boyd at uts.edu.au
Fri Nov 14 02:30:18 EST 2003

Firstly, I'm not saying that Sneeze is undeserving of support and I'm not
on the committee and as far as I remember, Ryans in the innernorth and I'll
one day hopefully be able to connect to him.
I understand that the use of mw money is fairly discretionary but do we
want to set a precedent for subsidising members nodes? Who decides who's
eligible and under what criteria? As far as I understand it GHO wouldn't
have been possible without someone paying something and it does provide
valuable links to most of Melbourne.

I think it would be more appropriate for nodes that feel they need help to
ask around among the people who are connected to them for contributions for
the services they provide. I don't want to start the whole internet access
thread again but I thought mw had agreed that it wasn't going to provide
internet access, subsidising someone (through mw directly) to do this isn't
what the group is about as far as I understand.

I think it might be a good idea to differentiate between the network and
the services being offered on it. I'd suggest that VIX access would fall
under services. Electricity etc, are costs that every node needs to pay.

I'd be happy to contribute to the costs of other nodes for extra services
they provided if I was one of the folks that used those services.

Anyway, my 2c.

Matt