[MLB-WIRELESS] Wifi card firmware questions - Netgear and Cisco

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Thu Nov 13 16:16:09 EST 2003

some FreeBSD4.8 boxes with wifi cards:

dmesg gives
Netgear MA401:
using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3873
Intersil Firmware: Primary 1.00.07, Station 1.03.06

Cisco Aironet 350:
<Aironet PC4500/PC4800> at port 0x240-0x27f irq 5 slot 0 on pccard0
got RSSI <-> dBM map

ancontrol -I
OUI:                    [ 00:40:96 ]
Product number:         [ 10 ]
Manufacturer name:      [ Cisco Systems                   ]
Produce name:           [ 350 Series      ]
Firmware version:       [ 4 ]
OEM MAC address:        [ 00:09:7c:85:82:74 ]
Aironet MAC address:    [ 00:09:7c:85:82:74 ]
Radio type:             [ 802.11 DS ]
Regulatory domain:      [ 0 ]
Assigned CallID:        [ ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff ]
Supported speeds:       [ 1.0Mbps 2.0Mbps 5.5Mbps 11.0Mbps ]
RX Diversity:           [ antenna 1 and 2 ]
TX Diversity:           [ antenna 1 and 2 ]
Supported power levels: [ 1 5 20 30 50 100 0 0 ]
Hardware revision:      [ 00:22 ]
Software revision:      [ 04:25 ]
Software subrevision:   [ 00:17 ]
Interface revision:     [ 00:00 ]
Bootblock revision:     [ 01:50 ]

the question is...

I have been experiencing some intermitant bad behaviour wrt these cards
communicating. either as adhoc or AP connections. some times they ping
someties it breaks ping... and since I am trying to test mobility, I kinda
need the connection to be reliable.

the thought occured to me that maybe it was a firmware related issue?

would anyone care to comment on firmware revision state of play for either of
these cards and/or info on what the firmware upgrades are like?

(er... I also have a linksys wap11 v 2.2 - not sure what firmware... hang on..
let me look  1.009- feel free to comment on that too :-)

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824