[MLB-WIRELESS] Free P2P phones will pressure telcos

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Wed Nov 12 16:10:25 EST 2003

GPRS mobile phones + VoIP = teleco worst nightmare...

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:30 pm, Tony Langdon wrote:
> > I was thinking recently how nice it'd be to use a normal
> > phone for VoIP.
> >   I have an old FM analogue cordless phone at home which I'll
> > see if I
> > can hotwire the soundcard to the internals, bypassing the transhybrid
> > circuit and gyrator and hook the lineout and mic directly to
> > the audio
> > lines on the radio section.  You could possibly hotwire a pin
> > from the
> > parallel port to activate the ring logic too....  Hrmmmmm.....
> >
> > Anyone done this, BTW?
>
> No, but very doable, and of dubious legality, because the phone is also a
> type approved radio transmitter, and the mods would most likely void that
> type approval.  Still, an interesting idea.
>
> The way around that issue would be to interface the PC to a phone line
> simulator, which the phone plugs into.  Hmm, how easily could we simulate a
> phone line using a PC and some add on hardware?  Gee, you could have busy
> signalling and all, if the software supported it. :)  This approach would
> also allow the use of unmodified landline handsets.
>
> This correspondence is for the named person's use only. It may contain
> confidential or legally privileged information or both. No confidentiality
> or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this
> correspondence in error, please immediately delete it from your system and
> notify the sender. You must not disclose, copy or rely on any part of this
> correspondence if you are not the intended recipient.
>
> Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.

Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
caia.swin.edu.au
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824