[MLB-WIRELESS] Free P2P phones will pressure telcos

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Tue Nov 11 19:05:36 EST 2003

>Free P2P phones will pressure telcos
>http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7758460%255E15318,00.html
>---
>
>Free P2P phones will pressure telcos
>Karen Dearne
>November 4, 2003
>
>A PEER to peer phone service launched just nine weeks ago is shaping
>up as a serious threat to conventional telcos. More than 2.2 million
>users have downloaded the software.
>
>Called Skype, the system delivers voice-over-IP telephony over a P2P
>network, with nodes linking dynamically to handle traffic routing and
>processing without needing central servers.
>
>The system was developed by the people behind KaZaA — the popular
>file-sharing software that allows internet users to find and download
>music held on other people's PCs.
>
>KaZaA co-founders Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis say Skype
>will "challenge the outdated business models and rip-off tactics of
>legacy telcos".
>
>They plan to "bring global unmetered communications to people
>everywhere".
>
>"We will achieve this by building a user-driven P2P network".
>
>CSC future technologies expert Bill Koff said Skype may "completely
>disrupt" the traditional telephony market.
>
>Like KaZaA or Napster, Skype forms a highly distributed network that
>runs on millions of private PCs running the free software.
>
>"Skype creates a way for people to make telephone calls through VoIP
>anywhere in the world, from PC to PC," says Koff, who is vice-
>president of CSC's Leading Edge Forum.
>
>"It's an example of a self-organising network that essentially cuts
>out phone companies as the switching mechanism for connection."
>
>Koff says the most "disruptive" technologies that will "hit the
>marketplace over the next 18 months" use wireless data and 802.11
>technologies. "These pose an enormous threat to the telcos," he says.
>
>"Telcos have a real problem because their billing systems account for
>25-35 per cent of the cost of each call. "Just taking that out of the
>equation for consumers means huge savings. In the US, phone companies
>are taking this very seriously."
>
>KaZaA and Napster struck legal problems because users were exchanging
>copyrighted material, but Skype faces no such obstacles because no
>intellectual property is involved.
>
>"This is just me connecting to you through a different mechanism than
>a central monopoly," Koff says.
>
>"Companies and individuals can set up their own switching mechanisms,
>which will completely disintermediate the phone companies."
>
>While the telcos are trying to fight the change through regulatory
>means, "they don't have a leg to stand on", Koff says. "It's just
>another business entering the sector."
>
>Although Skype is providing the software at no cost, Koff says, it
>will earn revenue from additional products and services that users
>are prepared to pay for.
>
>"This works very much in conjunction with things we've been talking
> [...]

-----
"The alert reader has already noticed a slight logistical problem.
How is the first filesystem (called the root filesystem, because it
contains the root directory) mounted, since it obviously can't be
mounted on another filesystem? Well, the answer is that it is done by
magic."
  --  Linux Documentation Project System Adminstrator's Guide: