[MLB-WIRELESS] D-Link Bridging

Jason Hecker jhecker at www.wireless.org.au
Wed May 28 18:04:57 EST 2003

I just used two free static IP's on the subnet as the class C subnet is
the same in both premises.

For example, you could do this:

192.168.0.254   - internet gateway and firewall
192.168.0.253   - wireless bridge 1
192.168.0.252   - wireless bridge 2

192.168.0.1-100 - IP's in one building
192.168.0.101-200 - IP's in other building.

DHCP works across the bridge too, so you don't have to partition the IP's
up like I did in the two lines above.  It'd be like one big happy subnet
spanning two sites.  As usual, don't have more than one DHCP server up.

The bridges also figure out which MAC address lie on which side of the
link so it doesn't unnecessarily ship ethernet frames over that it doesn't
have to.

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Matthew Hill wrote:

> Yo im interested in this as well.
>
> what ip address do u set the each ap to ? does the ap ip stay in the
> same range as its wired network, or does it obtain one from the other
> wired range, of from a seperate wireless range.
>
> cheers
>
> matthew

Cheers,
jASON