[MLB-WIRELESS] 14db, 11db Hobby WaveGuides

vak vak at alphalink.com.au
Tue May 20 10:55:27 EST 2003

Be very careful paying that sort of money for a "hobby" antenna.

I have done extensive testing of both homebrew and commercial antenna.
In short, I have learnt that you don't always get what is claimed - even
by commercial antennas.

I can certainly tell you that from my experience, the values they are
quoting seem "ideal" - in practice though, manufacturing tolerances have
to be *extremely* tight to achieve the limits of a particular design.

Also, unless these antennas are manufactured with some sort of quality
control process, I can guarantee that their output will definitely not
be the same as the prototype they have built.

My view is that the whole spirit of homebrew is that you give it a shot
yourself, or get together with a few people and have fun building them.
It can be a lot of fun putting an antenna together and if you're lucky,
having the chance to test it.

Vaskos
--------