[MLB-WIRELESS] Linux switching eth cards around

Alex Musgrove musgrove at iinet.net.au
Wed May 14 16:24:48 EST 2003

Hey anyone,

I am running Mandrake 9, with Ricoh cradle and roamabout card, all work,
just config files shift around....

Each time I boot up, I get an error

Bringing up interface eth2: Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
Set failed on device eth2 : no such device

then when it starts  pcmcia  it finds the wireless card, and starts the eth2
successfully,

should I change the order of initialisation or is this ok?  if yes, how?

I can still use the card, and ping etc....

also, when I boot up, the cards are switched around,  ie
on boot all ifcfg-ethX files are correct
eth0  - 10/100 card 192.168.0.10
eth1 - 10/100 card 192.168.1.10
eth2 - roamabout card 10.0.0.10

reboot,
eth0  - 10/100 card  10.0.0.10
eth1 - 10/100 card 192.168.1.10
eth2 - roamabout card 192.168.0.10

I know that the wireless card is eth2 from the bootup, and iwconfig...

is the aforementioned issue with bootup fiddling with my ethX config?

these are my ifcfg-ethx files

DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=192.168.0.10
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
ONBOOT=yes

eth1 file is the same except based on 192.168.1.0 network

eth2 is also the same except based on 10.0.0.0 network

DEVICE=eth2
IPADDR=10.0.0.10
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=10.0.0.0
BROADCAST=10.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes

Should I have a different file for the wireless card?  or file
format/layout?

cheers,
Alex