[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwirelses DNS and Domain Names

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Mon May 12 16:21:42 EST 2003

> What happens if someone uses a proper address, say www.wantirna-ap1.net.au
> which resolves to 10.10.128.1 by using the wireless.org.au box, but then
> someone out on the net starts using that IP address for a real site.
> Is that possible?

No, this is why there is public space and private space.

> How do we work out where the DNS server goes?  If we use a DNS on
> wireless.org.au for resolving real domains, and wireless domains, it means
> people have to be connected to the internet at the time to resolve
anything
> on the wireless side. Am i on the right track there?

This is why you have a DNS server on each of the WPOPs/Clusters for those
that are not multihomed (connected to both at once). These servers update
every day or two (take a look @ how often it changes and modify to suit). If
your connected to the internet, use your ISP's DNS, if your not connected to
the net, use the local DNS server.

> So these people would have to change their DNS to one on the wireless
> network when they aren't dialed into the internet so they can resolve
> wireless network addresses.

This is where having 2 DNS's would work.
If you have occasional connectivity to the internet, you put in your ISP's
DNS server first, then the local WPOP's DNS server IP.

If your connected to the internet, it'll pull the Wireless domain IP from
that DNS, if not, it will recieve a timeout on connecting to the first
server, automatically jump to the second DNS server and then do the lookup
for you, returning a local wireless located IP

> Would it be best to get volunteers with 24/7 internet connections to run
> DNS servers for each region that allow people to resolve wireless network
> domains and also internet domains?

As stated above, have a multihomed DNS server on each WPOP that is on 24 * 7
(doesn't even require a 24 * 7 internet connection, just once a day or
whatever while updating takes place).