[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwirelses DNS and Domain Names

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Mon May 12 16:36:49 EST 2003

> because MW is using private space, you cant have reverse
> lookups if you use
> public DNS names - that's a penalty of using non public
> space. You could
> have reverse lookups if you used REAL names on internal NS's,
> or INTERNAL
> names on internal NS's, but I dont want to get into that
> argument again
> today..

Well, you can make the internal NSs authoritive for reverse lookups, but
obviously, this will only work for people who resolve against the internal
NSs.  Still, sounds like a worthwhile compromise to me.

> my take therefore is:
>
> use REAL names on REAL DNS servers, mapped to the relevant private IP

Agreed here.

> go without reverse mappings - this won't be a problem, except
> for mail, and
> mail would be getting NATt'ed anyway for internet
> connectivity, so its the
> public address that needs a valid reverse lookup, not the
> private address -
> hence no problem.

Have reverse mappings run from internal NSs.  This will facilitate internal
mail and other facilities that wish to do a reverse lookup, provided they
resolve against the internal DNS servers.  Reverse lookups will not be
possible from Internet based DNS servers, because 10.in-addr.arpa is not
delegated out there.