[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwirelses DNS and Domain Names

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Mon May 12 16:16:58 EST 2003

Well sounds like you guys have some decent ideas.  I'll stand back and toy
around with what I've got until some people who know what they're doing
work out the best way to set this up.
One thing I don't like is the idea that someone has to have an internet
connection before they can resolve anything.

You guys keep going with this one but I might butt out now seeings it's
starting to go over my head, might we worth starting a new Working Group
for DNS unless we mix it in with WGrouting.

Would people agree that this is possibly the second most important thing
after IP addressing and routing?
If so I think it should be given some priority.

Some of the clusters are growing to points where they'll want to start
looking into DNS.

>Ryan,
>it's not about making melbourne wireless part of the internet. Its about
>reducing the complexity. There's already a DNS server out there, on the
net
>ready to go. Most of the pcs connected to melbourne wireless will have
>internet access as well via their own means.
>
>By using a DNS server on the internet it means that everyone in melbourne
>wireless can use the same DNS (or mirrors of it). We don't have to worry
>about node A being able to see the guy running the DNS over a wireless
>link. If you use a domain name that can be resolved using an internet DNS
>ie bcg.wireless.org.au or bcg.cw.net.au or even
>crazyarsebcg.wireless.net.au then everyone in the world whether they have
>connection to melbourne wireless or not can see that I'm at 10.10.48.161.
>However, if you are part of melbourne wireless and have a route to me then

>you get extra, you can downlad stuff, or see my file server or whatever.
We