[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwirelses DNS and Domain Names

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Mon May 12 15:31:28 EST 2003

> sounds to me like the consensus is for internet resolvable names, and IMHO
> we should use cw.net.au, or your own private domain names if you've got
> them.
>
> B.

---- Copy and paste from an email in the middle of last year when us
Sydneysiders were going thru the same thing ---

| On the topic of using real name space (.au) how is this going to be
| managed? Technically I mean, obviously the primary dns server will have
| to be on the Internet, how will this be replicated to the wireless
| network secondaries? Does this mean that certain WPOP's will need
| permanent internet connections? Obviously this goes against much of what
| we are working towards, but I guess it depends, are we talking about
| just having a couple of DNS servers per group (ie Sydney, Melb, etc)? If
| the different sub-domains (eg; nsw.cw.net.au) are managed separatly then
| wont this require potentially more Internet connected servers??
|
| Having everything "real world" resolvable is great, but what are the
| implications of this?
|
| Ps. Would have loved to have been at the tech-meeting last night to
| raise this, unfortunatly that's not possible.

There were pro's and con's of each. Hopefully they will be outlined in the
meeting minutes when they become available (also a audio stream somewhere).

The reason was justified, the basis of which is....

Our own DNS system with custom TLD.....

For those that DO have a real world interweb connection, the RFC for DNS'ing
would not allow for the system to cope with an internal wireless and
external interweb DNS server to go...ok....wireless domain, I'll get it from
here....ok....interweb domain, I'll get it from here.

While this DOES work on Windows and Redhat (I have it running at the
moment), it's actually against the RFC so it SHOULDN'T work (no OS wars
ladies and gentlemen).

So it was either

a - go real world DNS's and have a few machines connected to the internet
and wireless that can update the internal DNS records for those that DON'T
have a internet connection to get DNS entries from.

b - mirror the real world DNS's on the wireless network and have everyone
thats connected to wireless or wireless AND internet using an single
internal DNS server which also resolves internet domains.

we went with a.

---

We then proceeded to register cw.net.au which we would be able to chop up
and sub-domain as we liked, putting private IP addresses onto real-world
resolvable servers.

Made sense to everyone at the meeting.....all it requires is one multihomed
machine per WPOP or cluster and it running DNS....not too much to ask I
reckon