[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwirelses DNS and Domain Names

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Mon May 12 16:20:18 EST 2003

> What happens if someone uses a proper address, say
> www.wantirna-ap1.net.au
> which resolves to 10.10.128.1 by using the wireless.org.au
> box, but then
> someone out on the net starts using that IP address for a real site.
> Is that possible?

Umm, no.  Those addresses are NEVER to be used on the Internet, according to
the relevant RFC.  It might resolve to someone's internal IP address, but in
that case, they'd probably never know, because they wouldn't be connecting
to MW in any case...

> How do we work out where the DNS server goes?  If we use a DNS on
> wireless.org.au for resolving real domains, and wireless
> domains, it means
> people have to be connected to the internet at the time to
> resolve anything
> on the wireless side. Am i on the right track there?

No, you make DNS servers available to internal users.  The master server and
official slaves for the wireless segment will need a 24x7 Internet presence,
but that's only a handful of hosts.

> So these people would have to change their DNS to one on the wireless
> network when they aren't dialed into the internet so they can resolve
> wireless network addresses.

Those people would simply point their DNS server entries to the internal DNS
servers, which would be able to resolve everything.

> Would it be best to get volunteers with 24/7 internet
> connections to run
> DNS servers for each region that allow people to resolve
> wireless network
> domains and also internet domains?

Yes, you need the key systems to have full time Internet connectivity.