[MLB-WIRELESS] Linux on laptops

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Mon May 12 16:29:38 EST 2003

|  Ah .. I am a linux newbie and I have one of those really
|  stupid questions. doing things all around
|
|  I'm looking at running linux on a laptop and am wondering what
|  experiences people had using 468 or early Pentium based machines
|  (ah la P75) and whether they had dropped details of said experiences
|  anywhere on the wiki?
|
|  Abe

Abe,

Ran my first router on an old Toshiba P-90 laptop.
Ran great for a long time (was running RH6.2) just zapping data back and
forward between the AP, my LAN and my dial up connection.

Finally got the boot in favour of a desktop P166 when I got DSL cause I
needed 3 x NIC's as opposed to 2 x NIC's and a serial cable.

Speeds did increase slightly with the increased bus speed of the system
(also going from 10mb PCMCIA NIC's to 10/100 PCI's would have helped too).
Apart from that, no real issues at all. They're great as routers cause they
have the best UPS built in already if they have a working battery.

Regards, Craig Mead