[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwirelses DNS and Domain Names

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Mon May 12 16:00:24 EST 2003

> Umm.. now I am no expert here but can't you just run two domain name
> systems?  :) that would be fun.. I understand some competing companies
tried
> it to sell <dot>yourcompanynamehere domains a while ago.. they slotted
> software into Kazza to get people to be able to resolve the names but
people
> seemed to think it was spyware.
>
> Abe

By two domain systems you mean one internal (MW) and one external
(internet)?

According to the RFC on how DNS should work, this will not work.

The RFC basically says if I have a list of DNS servers and the first DNS
server returns unknown, the process will halt, not calling upon the
alternatives in the DNS server list. The only time it should go to
secondary/tertiary servers is when the servers don't respond at all.

Given this however, after testing it on Windows and RedHat systems, they
don't actually comply with the RFC. If the address was unknown on the first
server (ISP's) the name would resolve from my DNS server (hosting the
wireless records). However knowingly planning a network which breaks RFC so
if RedHat/M$ pull their asses into gear and decide to comply with these
"standards" as well as the chance that some of the other OS's out there may
well comply with the RFC as well, this really isn't an option