[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwirelses DNS and Domain Names

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Mon May 12 11:58:22 EST 2003

What I meant was, delegate the sub domain cen.melbourne.wireless.org.au to 2
nameservers inside the private network, but these two machines can talk to
the net.

Although no-one on the net could actually lookup
fred.cen.melbourne.wireless.org.au, the private network could.

Not to mention the fact that as most peoples home networks are connected to
the Internet, how do you propose that people resolve these private names?
Everyone on MW would have to point to the authoritive nameservers for .mw,
and those NS' would then have to proxy REAL DNS queries into the net....

I agree www.blah.melbourne.wireless.org.au is to long to type in, so perhaps
something like www.joeblogs.mw.org.au ????

Not using global public DNS seems ludicrous to me, and is not future proof
at all.

B.

Up here north of the border we spent a LOT of time discussing (OK, so maybe
it could have been called "arguing" at times) about DNS and how to run it
all.

The best process?

Use real world DNS's that resolve to private IP's.

Those who use wireless with an internet connection can then just resolve
thru their ISP's connections.

Those without and internet connection would use a DNS server on their
wireless network which is multihomed and updates every day or two to get the
latest set of records from the master server thing (prolly wrong term, but u
all know what I mean hopefully).