[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwirelses DNS and Domain Names

Matt matthew.c.boyd at uts.edu.au
Mon May 12 11:26:38 EST 2003

But isn't the point of DNS that you don't need to remember ip addresses or
associate a url with a location? If someones looking for a resource on the
network does it really matter where it is? you just need to know if you've
got connectivity and what the ip address is.

An access point isn't likely to be running anything worthwhile, probably
just routing a bit of data maybe a webserver. The interesting stuff will be
hanging off that, the clients who are running game servers, the ptp stuff
that might have los to a couple of aps and be sending traffic through both.

Once the network is built and theres a degree more connectivity, then the
people who need to know or who want to can simply look up in the node
database node bcg and see that I'm running a webserver at something like
bcg.wireless.org.au. Using global urls might make it easier to run a dns
that sits on both the internet and the wireless networks so people can
specify one dns and not have to split searching for internet and other
domains off on different servers (which might be difficult to do??). All
you need to know about me is that my node name is bcg, not that I'm in the
innernorth and I'm running an AP near an oef.

2c more
Matt