[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwirelses DNS and Domain Names

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Mon May 12 10:23:15 EST 2003

So, is there anything happening with regards to some sort of domain
structure on the network?  Anyone from WGRouting&Addressing looking at this
at the moment?

I've started messing with domain names over our way.  Now bear with me here
because I don't know much about it or the terminology....

Here's a few thoughts.

We need something we all use that signifies we're melbwireless.
e.g.  .wan  .mw  .melw

then perhaps something to signify regional areas.
e.g. .oef (outer east&foothills) .inn (inner north) .cen (central)

so you'd end up with something say www.wantirna-ap1.oef.mw

Now there's of course the other school of thought that we use domain names
that fit in with the rest of the world. But my feeling is that this comes
back we're going to need globaly routable IP's, etc then....And some
internet feeds, at which point you're looking at a wireless network with
open internet access, which is playing with fire in my opinion.

What are other peoples thoughts/ideas?