[MLB-WIRELESS] 802.11g linux compatible cards.

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Wed May 7 11:49:53 EST 2003

This actually points out a bit of a thorny issue.

while I am happy that linux is getting more recognition, the real battle is to
get open source recognition...

e.g. if teh driver developer writes windows or mac only drivers, fine, they
loose some market share.  being unwilling to release the hardware api or
driver specifics (or whatever is required to allow 3rd parties to make their
own drivers) would be the ideal solution... lets face it, the OS movement (be
it linux or BSD etc.) doesn't need drivers, it needs information so it can
make it's own drivers...

getting a Co to realise it CAN let go of it's IP and still benefit (e.g. not
having to make or support numerous additional drivers for various obscure
OSs) is the real battle...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824