[MLB-WIRELESS] Whats happening here?

Garreth Cain gcain at websolutions.nu
Sun May 4 09:33:23 EST 2003

Hi Guys,

I just bought a shiney new PCMCIA Wireless card for my laptop (An old Compaq Presario 1685 with a busted LCD) The theory is that Im going to use it as a Firewall/DSL router since I cant get wires from the phone point to my study (dont ask!)

I have installed the linux-wlan drivers for PCI cards many times, and have run throught the same process with this machine making the respective changes (PCI to PCMCIA for example)

HOWEVER! When I try to ifup wlan0 I get this:

gre0: unknown hardware address 778
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: no such device
gre0: unknown hardware address 778
Bind socket to interface: No such device
exiting.

A friend of mine told me that one of hist laptops couldnt run wireless cards beause the interupts were out of the CPUs range... He's currently out the country so I cant ask him if this is the error he was getting...
My PCMCIA socket is working because I am currently running a Dlink PCMCIA Nic in it to connect to the rest of my network.

Does anyone have any ideas?
All comments will be appreciated.

Regards,

Garreth