[MLB-WIRELESS] [Fwd: [Oz-ISP] Technical question re wireless transmission 802.11b]

John Dalton john.dalton at bigfoot.com
Fri Mar 28 22:18:54 EST 2003

> ... is the whole datarate slowed down to 2Mbps

Yes.  The actual data rate is 2Mbit/s, (with QPSK, so the
symbol period is one microsecond).  There are 4 modes
within 802.11b.  The original two '802.11' modes of
1Mbit/s and 2Mbit/s and the two '802.11b' modes of 5.5Mbit/s
and 11Mbit/s.

> ... its (close enough) to 97% of the "possible" throughput.

Are these actual numbers?  97% too high to me.  The 802.11 MAC
is quite inefficient.  50% I would believe.  The only way I
could see 97% being achieved is if you've managed to switch off
ACKs, so the link is effectively simplex.  Are you sure the card
is in 2Mbit/s mode?

> Anyone know any definitive information sources?

The 802.11 standards are the definitive source.  They are online.
Use Google to search for 802.11 within the ieee.org domain.

Regards
John