[MLB-WIRELESS] TIB net????

Matt matthew.c.boyd at uts.edu.au
Fri Mar 21 00:56:25 EST 2003

Don't shoot me for saying this and I may start a religious war and I
understand that melbwireless isn't about net access but..... since the bulk
buy works so well for goods why not give it a go for internet service/access.
We could make it available as an offer on TIB, see what discounts we can
get for bringing along a few hundred customers, talk to the ISPs that deal
at this level and maybe use the bulk muscle to get an agreement that
doesn't prohibit sharing the connection wirelessly, this might make a
couple of those big 35gb aardvark/comindico accounts very affordable.

My first ISP was a startup in sydney that was reasonably cheap and reliable
at the time and cut costs by not providing much in the way of tech support.
ie they didn't have a number you could  call to get someone to help you set
up your pc. Most of the melbwireless guys&gals are savvy enough to set up
an adsl connection I'm sure.

As long as we limit it to melbwireless members and don't make any money out
of it I'm reasonably sure its even legal.

Just throwing the idea in for discussion. I'm not talking about purchasing
a big pipe for a nonexistant melbourne wireless network and everyone
pluggin into that. I'm talking about getting us a means of access to the
prices that wholesale providers can offer and at the same time reducing the
costs by being able to split that between 2 or three people who live in
your neighbourhood. This might be the sort of thing that would encourage a
few more people to put up antennas. It would also be a good idea to involve
other computer groups in melbourne perhaps. This sort of thing is going on
at the moment (sharing net access between a few ppl wirelessly) surely
theres a way to use it on a larger scale.

Disclaimer: I've never worked for an ISP and I don't have an IT job, it may
very well be pie in sky stuff, enlighten me.

Matt