[MLB-WIRELESS] BIPAC-743: ADSL, 802.11b, 4xEthernet

Jason Hecker jhecker at www.wireless.org.au
Wed Mar 19 17:24:04 EST 2003

A lot of these nice little devices seem to run ARM derivatives, especially
if they contain Atmel devices.  Unfortunately, a lot of these cheap ARM
core based devices lack the all essential MMU for plonking something
useful like NetBSD, Linux or eCOS onto them.  From what I can tell, none
of Atmel's devices have an MMU, so all these nifty network devices like
ADSL modems and wireless AP's run closed source operating systems that
you're going to have to pay for.

If you're in luck and do have an MMU, chances are then the operating
system to try to jam on it won't have drivers for the various I/O parts on
the board.

OpenAP is able to run Linux as it uses an out of production AMD embedded
486 which hooks up the serial port and ethernet chip off an ISA bus and
the Orinoco (?) wireless card off the 16 bit PCMCIA bus - so drivers would
have worked out of the box pretty much.

Though, it never hurts to crack open your wireless widget to check the
chips in the slim hope you can do something with it.

--
Cheers,
jASON