[MLB-WIRELESS] Cheap 802.11g-draft gear

Simon Butcher pickle at alien.net.au
Thu Mar 13 18:05:11 EST 2003

> I am not up to date with the 802.11g standard at the moment.
> Does someone know where it currently lies?  If this stuff is
> draft based gear do you really think its worth buying before
> the standard g gear comes out?

Umm, the general theme seems to be along the lines of "the draft is
almost ratified, nothing's going to change". Technically speaking,
there's a 99% chance that's true, and all the 802.11g-draft gear is
supposed to be true to the future specification because of it.

The problem lies with verification of standards -- WiFi, as you may
know, verify that all WiFi certified 802.11b equipment can talk to other
WiFi certified 802.11b equipment. That's why they're WiFi certified.
There have been stories, about 802.11g-draft equipment that doesn't even
follow the 802.11g-draft specification well enough that it cannot
connect to 802.11g-draft equipment from other vendors.

802.11g-draft vendors are getting sneaky too, and getting WiFi
certification for their equipment, even if it's only for the 802.11b
component of their gear..

Choose wisely, I suppose :( I'm keen to get 802.11g gear, but I'm now
thinking I might buy an 802.11b access point and wait until 802.11g gear
has better credibility.

I guess D-Link were *not* the first in Australia to release
802.11g-draft equipment afterall? *points* at
http://www.dlink.com.au/corporate/press/releases/pr140103.htm

IMHO, 802.11g offers a lot of advantages for MW, especially when it
comes to long distance links..

 - Simon