[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless networking question

Jason Brice Jason.Brice at kiandra.com
Wed Mar 12 08:26:19 EST 2003

"With an access point connected to a home network switch, I find that _all_ traffic for any of my PCs (even the little printserver) is passed through the access point. "

Sounds to me link you have your AP connected to a Hub and not a Switch.

A Switch will only forward frames out of ports associated with the destination MAC address. A Hub floods frames out of all ports all the time. So if you have a switch, you might expect (as you suggest) to keep any frames not destined for the wireless part of your network, off of your AP.

Of course it gets more complicated if you have a smart switch (Cisco and a bunch of other high end switches)
What kind of switch do you have?

jason brice
senior network engineer
kiandra system solutions
level 9, 455 bourke st melbourne vic 3000
(t) +61 3 9600 1639
(f) +61 3 9600 1656