Privacy Was: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Mailing list security

Matt matthew.c.boyd at uts.edu.au
Wed Mar 12 07:07:08 EST 2003

<snip>
/paranoia on
Just a suggestion... but since there is a privacy policy for the mailing
list then perhaps this should be documented somewhere, specifically mention
that the list has only one purpose and that the emails will never be passed
on/sold etc and that harvesting email addresses from anything related to
the list is not allowed. In the unlikely event the association goes
bankrupt and some accountant has the good idea to sell the list.

place to put it as this is where the link from the main page points anyway.

IANAL but without something explicitly stating that the list is private
then someone could claim the perl bug was a "feature" and use it to
(arguably) legitimately harvest email addresses. I understand we are a
public group open to all but as an association we may need to claim
ownership of some of the information in our possession to prevent people
from abusing it. By this I mean personal information about people, not
technical information.
/paranoia off

Matt