[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless networking question

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Tue Mar 11 23:29:41 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Joe Hovel wrote:

> I hope someone can answer a technical query for me:
> With an access point connected to a home network switch, I find that
> _all_ traffic for any of my PCs (even the little printserver) is passed
> through the access point. I noticed this because the Dlink
> configuration/monitoring software shows continuously increasing packet
> numbers, irrespective of where traffic is intended.

Are these packets on the ethernet interface, or the wireless interface?

If the AP900 has separate LAN and WLAN indicators, does the WLAN indicator
flash as much as the LAN indicator?

I have an AP900+ (note +) and it only passes traffic that is destined for
a wireless computer. I presume it only sends a packet over wireless when
it's destined for an ethernet address that belongs to an associated
client, or perhaps it keeps a cache of addresses that are generated when a
packet is received.

As another poster said - it's probably better to have something between
your LAN and your WLAN. At the very least, a dedicated network card in
your 'nix or 'doze box to connect to your AP.

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe - Melbourne, Australia
www.camrecord.com  www.camdiscover.com  www.heyasl.com  www.sensationbot.com