[MLB-WIRELESS] Q: What do people want from Melbourne Wireless ?

Simon Butcher pickle at alien.net.au
Thu Mar 6 19:14:45 EST 2003

Hi Julian,

<snip>
> //6) What is the major hinderance to getting your (or other
> people's) //nodes up ?
>
> not having access to my roof - the top floor owns it [damned
> city living].
<snip>

Two friends of mind have similar problems (one of them the problem of
living in a heritage listed building). To both of them, I suggested
buying/building a panel antenna, since they're flat and offer quite
reasonable gain (although the high gain ones can get quite large). The
reasoning being that you could place one behind or in front of a window
somewhere, or on a balcony if you have one.

Being flat, and reasonably thin, they can blend into their surroundings
fairly well (they're being used for microwave links between mobile phone
towers for this reason). This isn't going to help if you don't have
someone to link to who is relatively perpendicular to your window, but
it could help?

Check out http://www.saunalahti.fi/~elepal/antenna1.html - it looks
relatively easy to build one. If you're looking for a commercial one,
they're normally square or rectangular in shape, and almost always come
in a very large range of colours!

Cheers,

 - Simon