[MLB-WIRELESS] Satellite dish..

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Thu Jun 19 12:26:15 EST 2003

Hi,

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Fenn Bailey wrote:

> During my travels, I have managed to acquire a satellite dish.
> Photos of it will be forthcoming, but possibly someone can shed some
> light as to what it is. It cost me an outrageous amount of money
> that almost broke the bank: $7 !!!!
>
> It's metal, black and and oval shape, about 60cm x 80cm. It's got an
> offset feed (eg: it's a portion of a full parabola) and the LNB says
> "GALAXY" on it. (I didn't think Galaxy ever used this type of dish -
> eg: I thought it was terrestrial).

This is a standard Satellite dish for use for Foxtel or Austar. The
"Galaxy" LNBF is just branded as a "Galaxy".

> Anyway, my plan is to remove the LNB and replace it with a bi-quad.
>
> Just curious as to:
>  - Whether anyone has played with one of these before
>  - Whether anyone on the list has played with bi-quads before and
>    maybe has some good design tips (or some spare ones lying around
>    ;)
>  - What sort of gain I can expect (I'm thinking it will most likely be
>    >25dB, which could be interesting).

That size reflector should be good for around 25 dBi, plus the gain from
the Bi-Quad. You can also use a dipole which will allow you have match
polorization of other dishes easily.

> I'll try and drag it on to a meeting (when I finally get back to
> one) - ideally after I've hacked it up a bit :)

With the right kit to sit behind it, you can also watch it for watching
TV .. :)

Chat soon

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----