[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: GLL To GLO Ta GHO

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Wed Jun 18 12:20:48 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 11:02, Chris Samuel wrote:

> On Sunday 03 Jan 1999 3:31 am, Ryan wrote:
>
> > all a wanna really do share broadband
>
> Note that doing this could get you stomped on from a great height by the ACA &
> your ISP.
>
> The work around for that may be to become an APANA member and set your system
> up as an APANA node (i.e. change ISP) and you may then become exempt from the
> ACA's requirements to pay them a lot of money to do what you want to do.
>
> Unfortunately I don't believe that APANA has the money to do broadband though.

Correct. We do have ISDN DOV though (64k or 128k at close to modem
cost). Note that the back channel on most budget ADSL is only 64k, so
for p-t-p link ISDN gets comparable or better speed, and much better
reliability.

Getting back to (vaguely) melbwireless related stuff, DOV is the
cheapest $/kbps way of connecting wireless nodes that can't get LOS (a
"tunnel"). Someone was talking about using a modem to connect two widely
separated wireless nodes. I thoroughly recommend using DOV instead.

DOV is much faster and much more reliable than modem. The ongoing costs
are the slightly cheaper than modem, only the setup costs are higher, If
you factor the setup costs over 24months, the total monthly cost is
about the same. The $/kbps is much cheaper than modem. It is also about
1/3 the $/kbps as setting up a VPN or equivalent between nodes using
ADSL via an ISP with free traffic between nodes.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/