[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: GLL To GLO Ta GHO

andrewg at d2.net.au andrewg at d2.net.au
Tue Jun 17 14:02:44 EST 2003

Okay, to mebe change the way Rik has said this, here is my attempt at
clearing things up:

GHO-|
    |- mrviper
    |- mrviper's friend
    |- City
    |- RG Southern
    |- Someone who connects to 2 other people

As we know, you don't get 11MBPS, more around like 5.5Mpbs actual.

So, specifically on those AP connections, it is likely that you and
your friend will use more bandwidth, and provide no benefits to other
people around you, thus resulting in less usable links.

So, looking at the positivies and negativies:

- GHO is open to everyone:
Pros:
	- It provides an easy connection method.
	- Can go around trees, buildings.

Cons:
	- Having this does not promote network growth.
	- The amount of bandwidth that can be used is significantly
	dropped, possibly flooding off links that are useful to more
	people than yourself and your friend.

- GHO allows only certain connection:

Pros:
	- Provides more motivation for people to create links between
	themselves and others, this in turn:
		- Creates greater community networking. You get to know
		  the people you are linking to.
		- Provides for a more resilient network, which in turn
		  provides a more usable network, for all involved.

* motiviation in the sense of we can link eventually to a system, this will
link them to us, and vice versa. Amongst other things.

Cons:
	- People will say its there, and why can't they use it.
	  or, Will inconvience people who think the amount work they
	  did deserves use of anyones node who is trying to facilitate
	  network growth by supplying links to people which would take
	  longer than to happen naturally via small, consistent links.

	  This may self contridactory, however, read over it again,
	  and think about it, and you'll find it is not.

So, with regards to more links is better for the network, lets look
at it this way...

ABC - GHO
DEF - GHO
GHI - GHO
JKL - GHO
MNO - GHO
PQR - GHO
STU - GHO

or alternatively,

      / ABC -> DEF             [ Fear my asci art skills. Just gotta hope
     /   |   \> GHI --\        [ comes out correct for everyone and the
MNO      |             GHO!    [ mail server doesn't break it. ;)
     \   STU \        /        [
      \       \      /
       \ JKL -> PQR /

The network with more links in it is more resiliant to failure, and
provides more bandwidth to people.

More bandwidth = More usable
More resistant to single point of failures = more usable

So, in essence, the question can be put to you that, do you want a link
between yourself and your friend that relies on one node (and hence on
point of failure), or multiple links?

In general, most people need to feel they are getting something out of the
wireless networking to see that there is point, however, with all networks
like this, it generally takes time, until you can just plug it in, and it
works.

Hope this makes things clearer,
Andrew Griffiths.

P.S I am kindof in favour of special cases, depending on the needs. Oh, and
how politely the person asked :)

> the main reson is i dont think darren has spent all this money just for
> you 2 get a link with your friend when he would rather want to help a
> greater number of people
>
> and as i said before you have 3 other people active and 28 people
> intrested why not ask them for help?
>
> or, why not get $900~ and host a second AP+AMP+Waveguide(tuned to
> channel 1 ofcourse) then you will need a ups $100~
>
> there you go, or find someone whos intrested in wireless who you both
> can see and get a 140$ ap and a 80$ omni and a box and some ethernet
> 60$ and link up thru that location?

[ snip ]

>> > We got zebra going between node FUS and FZJ last night.
>> > DCH and FNZ will be configuring it today.
>> >
>> > Innernorth > *

Hey, didn't I supply help? so that means,

Southern > Innernorth > *

Because without the southern group, there wouldn't be me (chances are) and
poissibly less ospf stuff :)

:. Southern Rules.

>> > <RANT>
>> > ARRRG QUOTED MATERIAL ABOVE YOUR RESPONSCES PEOPLE.
>> >
>> > and trim it.
>> > </RANT>
>> >
>> > --
>> > Grant Diffey aka "nevyn"

Agreed, its damn annoying. :)

Specially those signatures which are 70% of the persons contribution (I
have a feeling the other mail didn't arrive now ;))

- andrewg