[MLB-WIRELESS] Antenna question

Winder winder at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 16 20:20:29 EST 2003

Hello.

 I have been reading the web page on how to make your own Omni antenna and
thought I would give it a try. The Antenna in question is
http://guerrilla.net/reference/antennas/2ghz_collinear_omni/

However I cannot understand the part about a Quarter wave whip assembly. The
end of it is soldered back onto the antenna itself. Does this not create an
electrical short circuit? I have not seen any other antenna designs that
attach the driven element to the shield. I thought shorting out the output
of any amplifier was bad.

 Also, what does the 'decoupler' do? I have seen a different design using
RG213 that says the decoupler is not needed.

 Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks.