[MLB-WIRELESS] factory project

Jamie Moir jmoir at jmcs.net.au
Wed Jun 11 11:05:45 EST 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Alfred Shippen wrote:

> I have a small project I am working on involving a number of factory
> equipment I need to network. Due to certain restraints, it is far easier for
> me to use wireless LAN.
>
> I have a PC104 based industrial PC (DIN mounted) that I am going to use. I
> can source PC104 cards OK, but I want to set up this PC as an AP, and I am
> not sure how I will do this. I have no limitations on software to use, most
> likely I will use some derivative of Red Hat to handle the routing, file
> sharing etc. (there will also be a modem installed for remote access.)

Im sure all of us will like news on this as it happens, there are quite a
few of use interested in these sort of applications.

You need a prism based card and HostAP drivers for it, and then perhaps
something like LEAF or similar.

Another point though, any particular reason you arent just using ethernet
clients for at least the other ends? Im aware that they do have some
problems but they could be a lot simpler solution than where you are
heading. Im going to bring in some new ones of these sometime for
evaluation shortly.

Cya,

Jamie